Transfer Your License to Florida

If you have earned your CPA license in a state or U.S. territory outside of Florida, it is possible to have your licensed transferred so that you may practice accounting here. To find out more about the requirements for such a transfer, please go to the DBPR's website.

Do you have a current license from another state?

CPAs who hold licenses from other states and who wish to practice in Florida received relief in 2004 with the passage of SB 2720.  This new legislation allows for five years of experience as a licensed CPA to substitute for Florida's required fifth year of education through Oct. 1, 2008. Under the new legislation, the experience may be gained inside the state of Florida under the following conditions:

  • The individual has a current CPA license from another state;

  • The individual is employed for at least five years in public practice or as an auditor or accountant in a unit of state, local or federal government; and

  • The individual works under the direct supervision of a licensed CPA.

In addition, as part of the current 80 hours of continuing education required for license renewal, SB 2720 creates a four-hour ethics course that includes a review of Chapters 455 and 473, Florida Statutes, and related administrative rules. The course providers must be approved by the Florida Board of Accountancy (BOA), and the BOA will have authority to prescribe by rule the course content. The current required laws and rules exam would be taken upon completion of the ethics requirement.

SB 2720 was signed by the Governor on Friday, May 21, 2004 and was effective July 1, 2004. The full text of the new law can be found here.

We encourage you complete an application for licensure with the Florida Board of Accountancy under "Licensure by Endorsement. "Since this form will be updated soon to reflect the new law, be sure to include a cover letter that states you are applying under the new legislation. Once the application is completed and received by the Board of Accountancy, you will be sent a "work authorization form" to verify your prior experience employment.