Outlook - Transfer AutoComplete Addresses to a New Computer
- Close Outlook.
- You need to be able to view hidden files, so open My Computer (if you're using Vista, go to Computer).
- Go to the menu bar (if you're using Vista, press the Alt button on your keyboard to get the menu to appear).
- Click Tools and select Folder Options.
- Select the View tab.
- Under Hidden files and folders make sure the Show hidden files and folders radio button is selected. Also, make sure the Hide extensions for known file types checkbox is unchecked.
- Click OK.
- From the My Computer window (again, Computer in Vista) browse to your profile folder in the Documents and Settings directory (if you're using Vista, your profile folder will be in the Users directory.).
- Open the Application Data directory, followed by Microsoft and finally, Outlook.
- Look for the file with an .NK2 extension. This is where the AutoComplete info is contained. Copy the file to the location that contains the exported Contacts, Email, Calendar, etc.
- On the new computer, go to the desired user profile directory (as in step 3), and go to Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and paste the .NK2 file
Now, when you want to send an e-mail from the new computer, the previous AutoComplete Addresses will show up.
This Tech Tip is brought to you by the Business and Technology Section ... IT solutions for today's CPAs. For more information and to view an archive of previous Tech Tips, please visit us online.