Protecting Your License
Learn about the legislative successes the FICPA’s advocacy program has achieved on behalf of the membership. The FICPA works tirelessly on your behalf to pass legislation that is beneficial to the profession and block any potentially harmful legislation. Our work and any success we have accomplished would not be possible without the time, talent, and resources of the FICPA members and volunteer leaders.
FICPA Legislative Accomplishments
- Supported financial literacy course requirement for high school graduation
- Ensured CPA firms contracting with the state are not required to submit audited financial statements, which helps CPAs compete with non-CPA firms for state contracts.
- Ensured that disclosures added to Condo Associations financial reports must be consistent with standards
- Blocked an attempt to prohibit the Board of Accountancy from considering criminal history during the licensure process.
- Minimized unintended consequences of the Department of Revenue’s new audit requirements.
2020-21 Session: Florida Becomes a CPE Reciprocity State.
- Clarifies “licensure by endorsement’ requirements
- Allows for CPE reciprocity for nonresident Florida CPAs
- Ensures Ethics Courses contain majority of Florida Laws and Rules
2019-20 Session: Addressed barrier related to continuing education prior to licensure and assist those coming from other states, qualify for licensure.
- Successfully reduced the requirement for CPE A&A hours from 20 down to 8.
- Protection of the public and consumer - ensured SSAE standards are utilized by CPAs only.
120 hours CPE max to activate license
- FICPA facilitated legislation providing for out-of-state CPA firm license mobility. The legislation allows out-of-state firms to meet CPA firm licensure requirements without obtaining a Florida CPA firm license.
The FICPA Advocacy Update is your briefing on the activities and latest news on the Florida Legislature, issues affecting the CPA profession, and the FICPAs advocacy work.
Advocacy updates available for FICPA Members only.