Leading & transforming businesses in Florida for more than a century.
That year, Walter Mucklow, T.G. Hutchinson, and two other Florida accountants envisioned an association that would stand for an open exchange of ideas and high standards in accounting.
After lobbying the legislature, pushing through the first accountancy law in the Southern states, and creating an accountancy exam, they formed a group of accountants under the name of the Florida Society of Accountants.
And with that, the FICPA we know today started to take shape.
One of the first acts of the newly formed Society was the publication of
a pamphlet describing the objectives of the Society.
1. To promote a higher standard of efficiency in the science of accounting and the art of bookkeeping.
2. To bring together those interested directly or indirectly in matters of accounting, to promote the exchange of ideas, and to encourage mutual assistance between members.
3. To encourage the adoption of improved methods and to secure uniformity in matters of accounting.
4. To promote confidence between the public accountant, the bookkeeper, and the man of business.
The Society kept growing, adapting, and changing the accounting field in Florida. Together, they led the charge to make Florida the 8th state in the nation to sign an accounting law.
It established the Board of Accountancy, which began requiring tests for qualified accountants and penalties for violations. The Board was also authorized to grant certificates to those candidates who passed the tests.
It laid the foundation for the certification system that we know and trust today.
The first State Board of Accountancy appointed by Governor Broward was composed of Mucklow, E.I. Matthews, and George R. DeSaussure. The Board immediately began to function and granted its first five certificates.
The accounting law was revised in 1927 in order to accommodate new demands for ethics in the profession, attracting national attention. And then, in 1955, the Florida Society of Certified Public Accountants was renamed: the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
With interests in building a governmental relations program, the Board of Governors voted in 1979 to relocate the FICPA’s headquarters to Tallahassee, Florida. In 1985, the FICPA moved into its new, official headquarters within walking distance of the Florida State Capitol. Four years later, the building was expanded.
When it celebrated its 100-year anniversary on April 20, 2005, it represented more than 18,400 CPAs throughout Florida.
Since our founding in 1905, we’ve stayed true to our original principles by connecting, leading, and transforming Florida’s CPAs and businesses.
We hope that you’ll join us for all of the successes yet to come.
View Past FICPA Presidents & Chairs