In this area you will find an archive of the most recent top stories featured on the home page of the FICPA Web site that we felt were informative enough to store for your future reference.
February 26, 2015What To Know About Taxes And Health Care
- It has caused a lot of taxpayers who enrolled in the Affordable Care Act some confusion and has even affected people who have private insurance.
However, with this added confusion, there are some things people need to know.
First, if you have...
February 24, 2015Governor Rick Scott Appoints Four to Continuing Care Advisory Council
- Today, Governor Rick Scott announced
one appointment and three reappointments to the Continuing Care Advisory
Council. Marshall “Trey” Gunn II, 30, of
Jacksonville, is a partner at Gunn Chamberlain. He succeeds Dennis Schelper...
February 18, 2015Tax Refund Service Signs Promise Big Returns, But Do They Deliver?
- OCOEE – Tax refund signs are all over, promising big money returns, especially if you’re claiming children Twenty-five-year-old Kelly Stephenson has two kids and says, "If you had two kids they said they can get you, like, $5,000."
February 18, 2015A Special Announcement for the USF Muma College of Business
- Dear Friend of USF, The University of
South Florida announced today that its School of Accountancy will be named for
Lynn Pippenger, a long-time supporter. The change was made official this
morning by a vote of the USF Board of Trustees. The...
February 12, 2015Falsifying Income To Claim Tax Credits Hits The IRS "Dirty Dozen" List Of Tax Scams For The 2015 Filing Season
- The Internal Revenue Service recently warned taxpayers a-bout schemes to erroneously claim tax credits is on the annual list of tax scams known as the “Dirty Dozen” again for the 2015 filing season.
“Scam artists don’t...
February 12, 2015IRS Offers Extra Fraud Protection - But Only to a Few
- Starting this year, most taxpayers in three areas that have seen high levels of tax-related identity theft—Florida, Georgia and Washington, D.C.—are eligible for an extra layer of protection from the Internal Revenue Service.
February 11, 2015CPA Firm Administrators Wear Many Hats
- Thirty-five years ago, Celia Cue was the first hire at Miami CPA firm Berkowitz Pollack Brant Advisors and Accountants. During those early years, Celia did a little bit of everything while serving as administrative assistant to firm CEO Richard...
February 10, 2015The 'Dirty Dozen' Tax Scams to Avoid
- The IRS recently released its "Dirty Dozen" list of tax scams for the 2015 filing season, and phone calls from scammers posing as IRS agents top the list. Fake emails or phishing schemes, identity theft and tax return preparer fraud followed...
February 05, 2015IRS Launches Directory of Tax-return Preparers
- The IRS today announced the launch of a new online public directory of tax-return preparers. The searchable Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers with Credentials and Select Qualifications (the Directory) on IRS.gov will help taxpayers find a...
February 04, 20152014 MAP Survey: CPA Firms Show Modest Growth
- Mirroring the broader economy, results of the biennial National Management of an Accounting Practice (MAP) Survey show that in 2013 CPA firms experienced modest growth over the prior year. The survey, which is conducted by the AICPA’s...
January 28, 2015IRS Issues Warning As Tax Season Begins
- With tax season arriving, people may be planning to hire someone to prepare their returns for you. The IRS urges you to be cautious when hiring a preparer, because some have scammed victims out of refunds or even stolen their identities.
January 28, 201510 Things To Know About Scott's Budget Proposal
- Gov. Rick Scott is calling it his "Keep Florida Working" budget, a $77 billion spending plan for the coming fiscal year that he presented at a forum Wednesday at the State Capitol.
January 28, 2015New Bill Removes 'hidden' Florida Sales Tax, Could Save Consumers $140m A Year
- A small change in a huge number in financial transactions, like those going on every day in Florida, can result in millions of dollars saved over an average year.
January 28, 2015Turbotax's Database Knows Your Secrets
- TurboTax customers are already outraged with a stealth 50% price hike in the software this year. But more secrets are coming out that might be equally surprising to some.
January 27, 2015IRS Offers Identity Theft Protection, Sort Of
- If you are worried about tax-related identity theft, and you should be, you might want to think about getting an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) from the IRS. The six-digit number, once it is assigned, must be used...
January 21, 2015Offseason Tax Site A Refuge For Errant Taxpayers
- Choose wisely, the Internal Revenue Services warns.
The small band of volunteers who help taxpayers at a downtown St. Petersburg social service agency have seen it all, including those victimized by unscrupulous preparers, some peddling their...
January 16, 2015Governor Rick Scott Appoints Three to Board of Accountancy
- Today,Governor Rick Scott announced three reappointments to the Board of Accountancy. David Dennis, 57, of Longwood, is a partner with KPMG LLP. He is reappointed for a term beginning January 15, 2015, and ending October 31, 2018. Martin Fennema,...
January 13, 2015Retirement: What The New Congress Has In Store
- Exactly what do they have in store for older Americans and retirees?
Are changes to Social Security and Medicare on the table, as some activists wonder? And, are changes in store for the tax advantages of our retirement savings accounts, like...
December 29, 2014Tax Dodging Hurts Small Businesses
- Dan Allen's email to me had the subject line: "tax dodger." You get an email with a subject line like that and you've got to open it, right? So here's what it said:
December 29, 2014Get Ready for Tax Season
- Believe it or not there may be things a person this year to help on their income taxes next year. With about a week left to go until 2015, Tom Jennings, a certified public accountant and member of the Bartow Rotary Club, spoke to the club last...
December 29, 2014What a Proposed Rule Could Mean for LGBT Couples' Health Coverage
- Health care insurers in Florida may have more customers after Jan. 6., when same-sex marriages could become legal in the state.
A proposed rule to ensure same-sex spouses in legally valid marriages are recognized and afforded equal rights in...
December 23, 2014Top 10 Financial Planning Tips For Year End
- As we take time to enjoy the holidays this month, it's also a good time to review any financial planning opportunities you may have before and after year-end. Consider these:
1. Harvest tax losses. By Dec. 31, you can sell investments having a...
December 17, 2014Not All Uninsured Will Have to Pay ACA Tax Penalty
- SEBRING – One of the big changes income tax filers and tax preparers will face when they file their taxes next year has to do with the health care insurance requirement under the Affordable Care Act and whether they will pay a penalty for...