Business Technology News
- Sprint doubles AT&T's double-the-data wireless promotion - Oct 1, 2014
- Under new CEO Marcelo Claure, Sprint is keeping the pressure on its larger competitors and going directly after AT&T.
- LG's F60, a midrange phone with 4G LTE, launches this week - Oct 1, 2014
- The device, which will reach Europe first, features a 4.5-inch display, 4GB or 8GB of built-in storage, and Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
- Google to offer schools, students unlimited storage for free - Oct 1, 2014
- Currying favor with educators and the next generation of workers, Google lifts the 30GB limit on its free Google Apps service for education customers.
- Comcast beefs up X1 cloud-based cable in San Francisco - Oct 1, 2014
- Comcast inches closer to box-free TV in the country's tech hub by adding streaming of live TV to mobile devices in the home and the ability to download anything recorded to its DVR onto a gadget.
- Get an Acer 11.6-inch touchscreen Chromebook for $219.99 - Oct 1, 2014
- Or a non-touchscreen model for $179.99. Plus: Three bonus deals, including a seriously sweet Xbox freebie!
- Amazon, Disney close to mending strained relationship -- report - Oct 1, 2014
- Some Disney DVD releases are back on Amazon after they were removed from the e-commerce site in August.
- Key players in Internet of Things promote Thread protocol at Google campus - Oct 1, 2014
- Google's Nest Labs, Samsung, Big Ass Fans and others came together to tout the burgeoning Thread standard that allows smart home devices to communicate with one another.
- Pressure is on: eBay needs to deliver after PayPal's spin-off - Oct 1, 2014
- The split is a logical progression for PayPal, but eBay needs to show that it's also a smart decision for its core e-commerce business as Amazon lures away sellers.
- Tomorrow Daily 060: Windows 10, Netflix versus movie theaters, a neural activity hat, and more - Oct 1, 2014
- On today's show, we dive into Windows 10 and some of its new features, get excited about Netflix's plan to release an upcoming film the same day it hits theaters, and check out a weird 3D-printed hat that changes color based on your brain...
- Delightful 'Thunderbirds' documentary goes behind the strings - Oct 1, 2014
- Stand by for action! The new documentary "Filmed in Supermarionation" goes behind the strings of Gerry Anderson's puppet shows "Thunderbirds", "Captain Scarlet" and "Stingray".
- Spending on mergers, acquisitions approaches year 2000's boom levels - Oct 1, 2014
- A record third quarter sees 2014 on track to hit almost $500 billion in M&A spending, says a research firm, not far from 2000's nearly $600 billion.
- Fascinating gif visualises the patterns of flight - Oct 1, 2014
- A beautiful gif deconstructs the wing motions of a bat, a goose, a moth, a dragonfly and a hummingbird to reveal the looping patterns therein.
- VC Ron Conway's 'One City' enlists techies, celebs to help schools - Oct 1, 2014
- A spoof video about an overhyped tech product called "MyBook" aims to get tech companies to donate books and resources to San Francisco public schools.
- Psychic Uri Geller says he can bend iPhones with his mind - Sept 30, 2014
- The famed Israel psychic has a theory on why some iPhones bend, and he's out to prove it. Hint: it doesn't involve the phones' grade of aluminum.
- Apple's Shellshock patch for Macs is incomplete, says security researcher - Sept 30, 2014
- Apple just released a patch for Shellshock, a bug that could give hackers access to Macintosh computers, but a security specialist says Apple fixed only two out of three security holes.
- Slim smartphone zoom is one step closer - Sept 30, 2014
- New technology from DynaOptics promises to deliver optical zoom to smartphones without the need for a protruding lens element.
- Assassin's Creed Identity offers first RPG experience for iOS - Sept 30, 2014
- Ubisoft has launched a new Assassin's Creed for iOS, touting it as the first in which users can create, develop and customise their (exclusively male) assassins.
- Apple's Shellshock patch for Macintosh computers may be incomplete, say experts - Sept 30, 2014
- Apple just released a patch for the Shellshock bug that could give hackers access to Macintosh computers, but a security expert believes Apple fixed only two out of three security holes.
- Key Internet of Things players promote Thread protocol at Google campus - Sept 30, 2014
- Google's Nest Labs, Samsung, Big Ass Fans, and others came together to tout the burgeoning Thread standard that allows smart home devices to communicate with one another.
- Windows 10: Nine things you need to know - Sept 30, 2014
- Have burning questions about Microsoft's upcoming operating system? Here are some answers.
- Give up firstborn for free Wi-Fi? Some click 'I agree' - Sept 30, 2014
- An Internet security experiment reveals just how careless people can be about their use of public Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Reddit gets $50 million in funding, will share bounty with community - Sept 30, 2014
- In true Reddit fashion, the social news site says it will share 10 percent of equity from the Series B funding round with its community members.
- Surprise! Microsoft jumps to Windows 10 - Sept 30, 2014
- Forget Windows 9. In an unexpected twist, Microsoft will be going straight to double digits from Windows 8 as it faces a challenging future for its operating system.
- With new commissioner, Google faces tough times in Europe - Sept 30, 2014
- Günther Oettinger took credit for derailing a settlement between European regulators and Google. Now, he's the incoming leader for digital issues.
- Mystery island on Saturn's moon Titan reappears with a new look - Sept 30, 2014
- A "magic island" on Saturn's intriguing moon Titan has once again popped up on Cassini's radar, but it seems to have changed its look since the last time it was spotted.
- Cuddle curious? Free app makes it easy to score hugs - Sept 30, 2014
- Download Cuddlr to find people near you who are up for a no-pressure cuddle. Well, hopefully it will be no pressure.
- Windows 10 aims to blend best of 7 and 8 - Sept 30, 2014
- Skipping over Windows 9, Microsoft will combine elements of Windows 7 and 8 into the next operating system. In the world of smartwatches, Pebble drops prices, Basis beefs up its fitness watch and Pavlok shocks you into going to the gym.
- Chrome bug hunters, Google's giving you a raise - Sept 30, 2014
- Google increases the top range of rewards to security researchers who find holes in its browser, and clarifies how the bug payment breakdown works.
- The 404 Throwback Ep. 363: Where we autotune Brian Tong to death (podcast) - Sept 30, 2014
- CNET's host of The Apple Byte joins the 404 crew in NY for this throwback classic. (Original air date: 6/16/09)
- Monster portraits so tasty you could eat them - Sept 30, 2014
- To celebrate Halloween, Detroit Free Press writer Eric Millikin is making incredibly detailed portraits of monsters out of, what else? Something very sweet.
- Future blockbuster? Tetris to become 'epic sci-fi' movie - Sept 30, 2014
- The classic falling-blocks video game is set to become a major motion picture taking place in a sci-fi universe.
- PayPal spinoff from eBay is 'natural,' co-founder says - Sept 30, 2014
- PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel says it makes sense for eBay to split from the online payments service. Now, PayPal will need to focus on making its product more competitive in a mobile world.
- Microsoft jumps to Windows 10 - Sept 30, 2014
- Forget Windows 9. In a surprise, Microsoft will be going straight to double digits from Windows 8 as it faces a challenging future for its operating system.
- Patent holders cut streaming fees for next-gen video tech - Sept 30, 2014
- HEVC, a new standard for compressing 4K video, will be cheaper for many companies to use than its industry-dominating predecessor. Maybe Google's competition helped.
- Apple Watch said to hit mass production in January - Sept 30, 2014
- The latest scuttlebutt now suggests that Apple's new smartwatch won't hit the high-volume assembly line until the start of 2015.
- Help Wolverine take on City Hall - Sept 30, 2014
- Marvel's moody mutant Wolverine could get his own epic statue in the halls of government if fans have their way. Not that he's ever been fond of red tape.
- Pebble drops price, adds new Jawbone and Misfit fitness apps - Sept 30, 2014
- The Pebble and Pebble Steel get true background fitness tracking and support for apps, along with lower prices: at last, could we have a smartwatch end up being a serious fitness band replacement?
- Meet Matchstick, Mozilla's $25 Chromecast alternative - Sept 30, 2014
- Is the world big enough for another streaming Internet dongle? Mozilla and Matchstick sure hope so, as they announce the first Firefox OS device that's not a smartphone.
- eBay, PayPal to split into separate companies in 2015 - Sept 30, 2014
- The separation, brought up by activist investor Carl Icahn in January, will include new management teams for both businesses.
- Alien Mind Control Mask puts a monster in charge of your head - Sept 30, 2014
- Your search for an unusual and creepy Halloween mask is over early this year. Just slap an alien with joysticks over your noggin.
- Microsoft unveils MSN makeover, rebranded apps - Sept 30, 2014
- The new site promises news and other content from around the world and a simple way to personalize what you want to see.
- Get a combination Bluetooth speaker, FM radio and mobile charger for $34.99 - Sept 30, 2014
- This compact Jack-of-all-trades also functions as a speakerphone and a receiver for non-Bluetooth devices like headphones and stereos.
- Church of Geekery: Reflecting Batman, Avengers in stained glass - Sept 30, 2014
- Artist Marissa Garner designs window art featuring superheroes, robots and comic book villains. "I would go to this church," fans say.
- Get a combination Bluetooth speaker, FM radio, and mobile charger for $34.99 - Sept 30, 2014
- This compact jack-of-all-trades also functions as a speakerphone and a receiver for non-Bluetooth devices like headphones and stereos.
- How Siri is this? A yoga mat that talks to you - Sept 30, 2014
- You've always wanted an artificially intelligent yoga mat, haven't you? Here's SmartMat, a yoga mat with a nice Siri-like yoga teacher whispering "downward dogs" to you.
- Tablet demand slows in wake of larger phones, cheaper notebooks - Sept 30, 2014
- Regardless, shipments of larger-screened tablets will rise over the next several years, says market researcher NPD DisplaySearch.
- Peculiar hat displays your thoughts as colours - Sept 30, 2014
- The Neurotiq headpiece combines knitting, 3D printing and electroencephalography to display your brain activity as an array of LED hues.
- Tardis stroller for the young 'Doctor Who' fan - Sept 30, 2014
- This fan-made Tardis pram makes us all wish we were tiny Time Lords. Crafter Vanja Vinter gives Crave the (bigger on the inside) scoop.
- With $950M Move buy, News Corp. eyes Zillow's turf - Sept 30, 2014
- Since spinning off from 21st Century Fox last year, News Corp. has been on an acquisition spree, snapping up a romance-novel publisher, two online business and now a real-estate listing website.
- Head-up displays: Coming soon to a windshield near you (Next Big Thing, Episode 10) - Sept 30, 2014
- Head-up displays are about to become mainstream; TV airwaves are about to make room for mobile data instead; and implanted wireless technology offers freedom from paralysis.