In this area you will find an archive of the most recent top stories featured on the home page of the FICPA Web site that we felt were informative enough to store for your future reference.
April 29, 2013A Picture Perfect Duo: Florida CPA Helps Grow Freelance Camera Rental Company
- Imagine running a business out of your home for more than 25 years when a
divorce forces you to move offices and reevaluate your business
strategy. Then, in the midst of it all, you’re the victim of a robbery,
resulting in damages to...
April 23, 2013MoneyWi$e Offers Financial Planning
- The St. Johns County Public Library System and the Florida Institute
of Certified Public Accountants are teaming up to participate in the
second annual MoneyWi$e Week, April 29 through May 5. Financial planning workshops for adults will be...
April 23, 2013Sequester Hits IRS, More than 89,000 Employees Furloughed
- A little more than a month into the sequester and fresh out of tax
season, the Internal Revenue Service has decided to issue furlough
notices to all of its employees next week.
According to an internal memo issued by Acting IRS Commissioner...
April 21, 2013Money Run In Key Biscayne Honors Victims Of Boston Marathon Attack
- Runners at the 24th Annual Money Run joined together at Bill Baggs State Park in Key Biscayne to honor the victims of the Boston Marathon attack . The run, organized by the Florida
Institute of Certified Public Accountants, raises money for...
April 15, 2013Harried Accountants Rush To Meet IRS Deadline
- Mercy San Miguel knew Monday would be rough, so she arranged chair massages for her staff and settled in for a busy day. After
putting in long hours, a difficult tax season reached an important
deadline for San Miguel on April 15, the date...
April 10, 2013Gov. Rick Scott Signs Bill Banning Internet Sweepstakes Cafes
- Storefront operations offering slot-like video games known as Internet
sweepstakes cafés are now outlawed in the state of Florida, after Gov. Rick Scott signed HB 155 Wednesday. The law takes effect upon becoming law.
April 04, 2013Financial Accounting Foundation Names David A. Vaudt Chairman Of The Governmental Accounting Standards Board
- Iowa Auditor of State David A. Vaudt today was named as the next chairman of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), effective July 1, 2013. The appointment was made by the Board of Trustees of the Financial Accounting Foundation...
April 01, 2013Gov. Scott Says Florida Jobless Rate Now Lowest Since October 2008
- Florida Gov. Rick Scott today announced that February's unemployment rate decreased 0.2 percentage points to 7.7 percent – the lowest since October 2008. The governor's office said that since December 2010, Florida has created 294,200...
March 28, 2013FICPA Names "26 Under 36"
- The Florida Institute of CPAs announced this year’s “26 Under 36”
honorees, recognizing FICPA members under the age of 36 that have made
notable accomplishments in service to the organization, profession and
March 26, 2013Join the Public Awareness Campaign Promoting CPAs
- The AICPA, the FICPA and other state societies are coming together to promote the CPAs like you this tax season with a cohesive public awareness campaign via Twitter and Facebook. The AICPA has created a list of tweets for you to customize with...
March 19, 2013AICPA Announces Winners of Start Here, Go Places. High School Accounting Competition
- AICPA Announces Winners of Start Here, Go Places. High School Accounting Competition $15,000 in scholarships and grant money awarded to top three teams NEW YORK – The American Institute of CPAs today announced a team from Batavia High...
March 06, 2013FICPA Builds Intern Database
- Hoping to tap into the state’s approximate 8,200 fourth- and fifth-year
accounting students and last year’s 3,650 Florida-based accounting
graduates, according to Florida CPA Today, the Florida Institute of CPAs
recently created an...
January 08, 2013IRS Plans Jan. 30 Tax Season Opening For 1040 Filers
- Following the January tax law changes made by Congress under the
American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA), the Internal Revenue Service
announced today it plans to open the 2013 filing season and begin
processing individual income tax returns on...
January 03, 2013Obama Signs Bill Warding Off Fiscal Cliff
- President Barack Obama has signed into law a bill to avert the fiscal
cliff, a day after the House and Senate approved the much-debated
Obama, who returned to his family vacation in Hawaii after Tuesday's House vote, signed the...
January 02, 2013American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012
- In the Senate of the United States, January 1 (legislative day, December 30, 2012), 2013. Resolved, That the bill from the House of Representatives (H.R. 8) entitled ‘‘An Act to extend certain tax relief provisions enacted in 2001 and...
January 02, 2013Why Your Paycheck Is Getting Smaller, No Matter What
- Congress was able to pass legislation to keep broader middle class income taxes from rising. But workers will still have to pay at least 2% more in payroll taxes .
January 01, 2013IRS Changes Income Tax Withholding Tables For 2013 To Reflect Expired Tax Cuts
- The Internal Revenue Service released new income tax withholding tables
for 2013 late Monday to reflect the expiration of the 2001 and 2003 Bush
tax cuts and the more recent payroll tax cuts of 2011 and 2012, but
noted that the guidance would...
January 01, 2013Congress Passes Fiscal Cliff Act
back from the “fiscal cliff” at the 13th hour, Congress on Tuesday
preserved most of the George W. Bush-era tax cuts and extended many
other lapsed tax provisions. Shortly before 2 a.m. Tuesday, the Senate passed a
December 21, 2012Speaker Boehner Plan To Avert 'Fiscal Cliff' Fail
- House Speaker John Boehner was handed a stunning defeat late Thursday
by members of his own party who refused to support his "Plan B" to
avoid the year-end "fiscal cliff" that threatens to send the economy in
to a recession.
December 20, 2012Tax Preparers Must Renew Their PTINs And Those Required To Take The RTRP Test Should Schedule It As Soon As Possible
- The Internal Revenue Service today reminded professional tax return
preparers to renew their Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTINs) if
they plan to prepare returns in 2013. Current PTINs expire Dec. 31,
Anyone who prepares or...
December 12, 2012Net Investment Income Tax FAQs
- 1. What is the Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT)? The Net Investment Income Tax is imposed by section 1411 of the
Internal Revenue Code (IRC). The NIIT applies at a rate of 3.8 percent
to certain net investment income of individuals, estates and...
December 07, 2012IRS Proposes Regulations On Net Investment Income Tax
- The Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department have issued a set of proposed regulations
on the 3.8 percent Net Investment Income Tax that takes effect next
year as a result of the health care reform law, along with a FAQ page with...
December 06, 2012Fiscal Talks Spur Charitable Giving
- Tax uncertainty in Washington is setting off a mad scramble among
wealthy taxpayers and charities to maximize donations before the end of
the year. Their worry: The tax deduction for charitable giving, a fixture of
the tax code for nearly a...
December 06, 2012Obamacare Investment Income: A Downloadable Cheat Sheet
- Judging by the reaction on the ol’ internet machine, the new regulations
governing the Obamacare investment income tax have caused quite a bit
of consternation within the tax community. Part of the problem is the
length: when you include...
December 01, 2012A Quest For Relevance
recent efforts by the accounting profession to improve private company
financial reporting revealed a clear and strong demand by small and
medium-size entities, the CPAs who serve them, and those who use their
financial statements for a...
November 28, 2012How Much Tax Would You Owe On A $550 Million Powerball Jackpot?
- With talk of the fiscal cliff and tax hikes for the rich dominating the news, you might be worrying about how much you’ll really get to keep after you win tonight’s record-setting Powerball jackpot. (Update: With frenzied ticket...
November 21, 2012Public Encouraged To Vote On Student CPA Videos
- TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Department of Business and Professional
Regulation (DBPR) and the Florida Institute of Certified Public
Accountants (FICPA) today encouraged the public to vote for their
favorite video in a public service contest...
June 29, 2012Supreme Court Upholds Health Care Law
- The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday declared the mandate in Sec. 5000A, requiring U.S. citizens and legal residents to maintain minimum essential health coverage, to be a permissible exercise of Congress's taxing powers under the Constitution...