In this area you will find an archive of the most recent top stories featured on the home page of the FICPA Web site that we felt were informative enough to store for your future reference.
December 4, 2016Premier Committee Event: CIRA Committee/DBPR Liaison Meeting
- ** NEW **Meeting location: Hospitality Center (corner of College Ave. & Duval Street)
(different from last year) 200 W. College Avenue, Tallahassee, FL 32301 Meeting date & time: Monday, December 5, 2016
1:00 pm – 5:00 pm (lunch served...
November 8, 2016Honoring Those Who Served
- The Florida Institute of CPAs is taking time to honor all who served for Veterans Day. We are indebted to your service in defending our great nation and the freedoms we cherish.
The FICPA would like to recognize the veterans among our members:
October 26, 2016IRS Announces 2017 Tax Rates, Standard Deductions, Exemption Amounts and More
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has announced the annual inflation adjustments for a number of provisions for the year 2017, including tax rate schedules, tax tables, and cost-of-living adjustments for certain tax items.
October 13, 2016Hurricane Relief
- Hurricane Matthew began threatening Florida on or around October 5. The FICPA provides the following timeline and disaster recovery information to assist Florida CPAs and taxpayers in recovery in the aftermath of this powerful hurricane. Check...
October 11, 2016IRS Gives Tax Relief to Victims of Hurricane Matthew; Many Extension Filers in North Carolina Now Affected; Relief for Other States Expected Soon
- North Carolina storm victims will have until March 15, 2017, to file certain individual and business tax returns and make certain tax payments, with similar relief expected soon for Hurricane Matthew victims in other states, the Internal Revenue...
October 11, 2016Hurricane Matthew Resource List
- American Red Cross www.redcross.org FEMA www.fema.gov Disaster Assistance and Recovery www.disasterassistance.gov Small Business Administration www.sba.gov Disasters and Financial Planning: A Guide for Preparedness and Recovery...
October 10, 2016Gov. Scott Activates Emergency Bridge Loan Program for Small Businesses Damaged by Hurricane Matthew
- The bridge loan program, managed by the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO),
will provide short-term, interest-free loans to small businesses that experienced physical or
economic damage during the storm and recovery efforts.
October 6, 2016U.S. House Passes Bill Establishing National Standard for State Income Taxes on Nonresident Employees
- The U.S. House of Representatives passed the Mobile Workforce State Income Tax Simplification Act of 2015, H.R. 2315, by voice vote on Sept. 21. The bill would establish a uniform national standard governing the withholding of state income taxes...
October 6, 2016Accounting Today Names FICPA Members Managing Partner Elite
- Accounting Today has named three FICPA members among its 2016 Class of the Managing Partner Elite. The annual list highlights accounting-firm leaders who stand out among their peers for being innovative, forward-thinking and unusually successful....
September 6, 2016Toolkit: Disasters & Financial Planning Guide for Preparedness and Recovery
- Disasters often strike quickly and without warning. Whether it is a weather emergency, natural disaster
or personal crisis due to illness, unemployment or disability, most families will experience some form of
disaster that leaves them with...
March 24, 2016A&A Requirements Survey
- Please Take the FICPA Survey The FICPA Board of Governors recently discussed an FICPA chapter recommendation that the FICPA pursue a statutory change allowing an alternative to the minimum requirement for 20 hours of Accounting and Auditing (A&A)...
March 21, 2016AICPA, State Societies Call for H&R Block to Pull Ads
- Perhaps you’ve seen or heard the recently launched H&R Block video and radio spots, which misrepresent the CPA profession and mislead the public about the expertise, experience and practice standards of CPA tax practitioners. In response,...
December 2, 2015U.S. private employers step up hiring; productivity revised up
- U.S. private employers boosted hiring in November, signaling job growth is likely strong enough to support the first Federal Reserve interest rate hike in nearly a decade when policymakers meet later this month.
The ADP National Employment...
November 5, 2015Proposal Would Create New Status For Retired CPAs
- A new, uniform “Retired-CPA” status would be created under a proposal issued this week by the boards of directors of the AICPA and the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA). - See more at:...
June 18, 2015Governor Rick Scott Appoints Patrick T. Hogan to Board of Directors of Florida ABLE, Inc.
- Today, Governor Rick Scott announced the appointment of Patrick T. Hogan to the Board of Directors of Florida ABLE, Inc.
Hogan, 47, of Bradenton, is the managing shareholder of Hogan Legal Services. He is currently a member of the Florida...
February 11, 2015CPA Firm Administrators Wear Many Hats
- Thirty-five years ago, Celia Cue was the first hire at Miami CPA firm Berkowitz Pollack Brant Advisors and Accountants. During those early years, Celia did a little bit of everything while serving as administrative assistant to firm CEO Richard...
January 13, 2015Retirement: What The New Congress Has In Store
- Exactly what do they have in store for older Americans and retirees?
Are changes to Social Security and Medicare on the table, as some activists wonder? And, are changes in store for the tax advantages of our retirement savings accounts, like...