In this area you will find an archive of the most recent top stories featured on the home page of the FICPA Web site that we felt were informative enough to store for your future reference.
May 22, 2015Florida Health Insurer Wants 31% Hike In 2016
- Most filings are hidden from public view as trade secrets, but records obtained by The Palm Beach Post show one Florida health insurer wants a 31.3 percent rate increase in 2016 and another 18.2 percent.
There’s a glimpse of good news for...
May 22, 2015Scott Reiterates Fight For Tax Cuts
- Gov. Rick Scott resumed his push Wednesday for a massive tax-cut package and a “historic” increase in school funding, downplaying a call for agency heads to prepare for a bare-bones budget.
“I’m cautiously optimistic that...
May 21, 2015AICPA Releases 6-point Plan To Enhance Audit Quality
- In a six-point plan released Thursday, the AICPA describes extensive ongoing and new efforts to improve audit quality.
Continued improvement in the quality of audits has long been a core focus of the AICPA. In May 2014, the Institute launched...
May 21, 2015Feds Suggest Possible Hospital Funding To End Florida's Budget Standoff
- The federal government told Florida Thursday that the state will need $1 billion next year to maintain a hospital funding program that’s at the center of a political stalemate preventing passage of a new state budget — but officials...
May 20, 2015Payment Snafus Plague Switch In Nearly 600,000 Citizens Policy Numbers
- By Charles Elmore - Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Florida’s largest insurer changed its account numbers for nearly 600,000 customers, but some payments to the old account numbers are going awry and causing headaches for customers of...
May 19, 2015Employers Must Monitor 401(k) Fees, Supreme Court Rules
- In a move that could brighten retirement prospects for millions of Americans, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that employers have a duty to keep watch over 401(k) plans to guard against high management fees that can erode retirement savings.
May 19, 2015Gray Area In The Law: Banks Just Say No To Legal Marijuana
- The U.S. government has opened a new line of business for America's biggest banks, and for once they don't want it. Little wonder: It's cash from legalized marijuana.
The financial-crimes arm of the Treasury Department is making it easier to...
May 15, 2015How Much Do CPAs Make?
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the unemployment rate for workers with a bachelor's degree in the U.S. is only 3.5%, compared to 6% for those with a high school diploma. Still, many college graduates seek additional education...
May 15, 2015Senators Offer Civics Lessons In Response To Scott's Request For Budget Data
- Gov. Rick Scott asked state agencies Thursday for bare-bones spending plans to stave off a government shutdown, a move that has prompted key senators to note the governor does not write state budgets.
It’s a continuation of the jockeying...
May 15, 2015Gov. Scott Asks For Critical Needs List In Case Of Government Shutdown
- Gov. Rick Scott directed all state agencies Thursday to draw up lists of "critical service needs … in the event Florida is forced into a government shutdown on July 1."
Scott's memos to agencies carry an alarming tone and were released the day...
May 13, 2015AICPA to FAF: Full Steam Ahead on Private Company Accounting Matters
- In a letter to the Financial Accounting Foundation (FAF) Board of Trustees on May 8, the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) urged the FAF to “continue the momentum” of addressing private company financial reporting issues.
April 14, 201525th Anniversary For The FICPA 1040K Run
- It’s the 25th anniversary of the FICPA 1040K Run. The Florida Institute of CPA’s are wild bunch. The run/walk is on Saturday, April 18, here in Coconut Grove. It starts at 7:30 am.
April 09, 2015FICPA, DBPR Encourage Accounting Students To Apply For Clay Ford Scholarship
- The Department of Business and Professional Regulation’s (DBPR) Division of Certified Public Accounting and the Florida Institute of CPAs (FICPA) are encouraging minority accounting students statewide to apply for this year’s Clay...
April 03, 20155 Reasons Why Your Business Needs An Accountant
- Many small businesses owners don't realize that a staggering 80 percent of U.S. businesses fail within the first 18 months. Typically, one of the main causes is poor financial management.
April 03, 2015How To Understand And Comply With 'Affordable Care Act' Requirements
- The "Affordable Care Act" (ACA) is five years old, and yet many people still struggle to understand the law and its implications. Frequent changes and differing requirements for businesses of varying sizes complicate efforts to stay up to date.
April 02, 2015Benefits of Establishing Long-Term Relationship with CPA
- A CPA is more than just a person who does your taxes. In this Money Matters Report, Time Warner Cable News’ Tara Lynn Wagner explains why you might want to make them a more vital member of your team.
April 02, 2015FASB Agrees to Propose Revenue Recognition Standard Delay
- Financial statement preparers may get the option to take more time implementing the new revenue recognition standard. FASB agreed Wednesday to propose delaying the effective date by one year for both public and private companies. The board voted...
March 20, 2015Accounting Today Announces Top 100 Firms
- Accounting Today recently announced its Top 100 Firms. The top firms in the Gulf Coast region (Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi) – with a total revenue of $816.56 million and an average firm growth of 5.8% – were: Carr,...
February 26, 2015What To Know About Taxes And Health Care
- It has caused a lot of taxpayers who enrolled in the Affordable Care Act some confusion and has even affected people who have private insurance.
However, with this added confusion, there are some things people need to know.
First, if you have...
February 11, 2015CPA Firm Administrators Wear Many Hats
- Thirty-five years ago, Celia Cue was the first hire at Miami CPA firm Berkowitz Pollack Brant Advisors and Accountants. During those early years, Celia did a little bit of everything while serving as administrative assistant to firm CEO Richard...
February 10, 2015The 'Dirty Dozen' Tax Scams to Avoid
- The IRS recently released its "Dirty Dozen" list of tax scams for the 2015 filing season, and phone calls from scammers posing as IRS agents top the list. Fake emails or phishing schemes, identity theft and tax return preparer fraud followed...
February 05, 2015IRS To Florida Taxpayers: Apply For PIN
- Aiming to thwart rampant fraud, the IRS is urging Florida taxpayers
to apply for PINs that will stop scammers from claiming phony refunds. The
IRS program lets taxpayers who filed returns last year from Florida,
Georgia or the District of...
January 27, 2015IRS Offers Identity Theft Protection, Sort Of
- If you are worried about tax-related identity theft, and you should be, you might want to think about getting an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) from the IRS. The six-digit number, once it is assigned, must be used...
January 13, 2015Retirement: What The New Congress Has In Store
- Exactly what do they have in store for older Americans and retirees?
Are changes to Social Security and Medicare on the table, as some activists wonder? And, are changes in store for the tax advantages of our retirement savings accounts, like...