In this area you will find an archive of the most recent top stories featured on the home page of the FICPA Web site that we felt were informative enough to store for your future reference.
November 22, 2013Gov. Scott: Statewide Unemployment Rate Falls To 6.7 Percent As Private Sector Jobs Dramatically Increase
- Governor Rick Scott today announced that the statewide unemployment rate for September 2013 was 6.8 percent and 6.7 percent for October 2013. The statewide unemployment rate has remained below the national average of 7.3 percent since March 2013....
November 20, 2013Core Competency Survey
- We need to look at the CPA profession in a new way. Join us. Cognitive Edge Ltd., the Indiana CPA Society and the FICPA have partnered to present The CPA Core Competency Study powered by SenseMaker®. It’s the first large-scale look at how...
November 08, 2013Gov. Scott: Florida among Top Ten States in the Nation for Commercial Real Estate Construction Value Last Year
- TOKYO, Japan – Governor Rick Scott announced today that a new national report released by the NAIOP Research Foundation ranked Florida among the top ten states in the nation for construction values for the development of office, industrial,...
November 06, 2013As Florida Ages, Lawmakers Ponder Future Of Health Care
- Baby boomers are getting older. So are primary-care doctors and nurses. And Florida's population continues to grow.
That combination could create a prescription for problems in Florida's health-care system during the next two decades. A House...
October 31, 2013Treasury Modifies "Use-or-Lose" Rule for Health Flexible Spending Arrangements
- The U.S. Department of the Treasury and the IRS today issued a notice modifying the longstanding “use-or-lose” rule for health flexible spending arrangements (FSAs). To make health FSAs more consumer-friendly and provide added...
October 31, 2013Governor Rick Scott Announces Nearly $200,000 in Scholarships Awarded to Minority CPA Students Throughout Florida
- Governor Rick Scott and the Department of Business and Professional
Regulation’s (DBPR) Division of Certified Public Accounting today
announced it awarded nearly $200,000 in scholarships to minority
students studying to become certified...
September 25, 2013Concerns for Limiting the Use of Cash Method of Accounting
- On behalf of the more than 18,500 members of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA), I am writing to share our deep concern about the limitation on the use of the cash method of accounting for non - natural taxpayers (e.g.,...
September 12, 2013Florida Ranks No. 1 for Renewed Consideration Post-Recession
- “This is great news and is more recognition for what Enterprise Florida
and its partners are doing to create jobs for Florida’s families," said
Gov. Rick Scott of the rating. "We have not only been recognized by
January 08, 2013IRS Plans Jan. 30 Tax Season Opening For 1040 Filers
- Following the January tax law changes made by Congress under the
American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA), the Internal Revenue Service
announced today it plans to open the 2013 filing season and begin
processing individual income tax returns on...
January 03, 2013Obama Signs Bill Warding Off Fiscal Cliff
- President Barack Obama has signed into law a bill to avert the fiscal
cliff, a day after the House and Senate approved the much-debated
Obama, who returned to his family vacation in Hawaii after Tuesday's House vote, signed the...
January 02, 2013American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012
- In the Senate of the United States, January 1 (legislative day, December 30, 2012), 2013. Resolved, That the bill from the House of Representatives (H.R. 8) entitled ‘‘An Act to extend certain tax relief provisions enacted in 2001 and...
January 02, 2013Why Your Paycheck Is Getting Smaller, No Matter What
- Congress was able to pass legislation to keep broader middle class income taxes from rising. But workers will still have to pay at least 2% more in payroll taxes .
January 01, 2013IRS Changes Income Tax Withholding Tables For 2013 To Reflect Expired Tax Cuts
- The Internal Revenue Service released new income tax withholding tables
for 2013 late Monday to reflect the expiration of the 2001 and 2003 Bush
tax cuts and the more recent payroll tax cuts of 2011 and 2012, but
noted that the guidance would...
January 01, 2013Congress Passes Fiscal Cliff Act
back from the “fiscal cliff” at the 13th hour, Congress on Tuesday
preserved most of the George W. Bush-era tax cuts and extended many
other lapsed tax provisions. Shortly before 2 a.m. Tuesday, the Senate passed a
December 21, 2012Speaker Boehner Plan To Avert 'Fiscal Cliff' Fail
- House Speaker John Boehner was handed a stunning defeat late Thursday
by members of his own party who refused to support his "Plan B" to
avoid the year-end "fiscal cliff" that threatens to send the economy in
to a recession.
December 20, 2012Tax Preparers Must Renew Their PTINs And Those Required To Take The RTRP Test Should Schedule It As Soon As Possible
- The Internal Revenue Service today reminded professional tax return
preparers to renew their Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTINs) if
they plan to prepare returns in 2013. Current PTINs expire Dec. 31,
Anyone who prepares or...
December 12, 2012Net Investment Income Tax FAQs
- 1. What is the Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT)? The Net Investment Income Tax is imposed by section 1411 of the
Internal Revenue Code (IRC). The NIIT applies at a rate of 3.8 percent
to certain net investment income of individuals, estates and...
December 07, 2012IRS Proposes Regulations On Net Investment Income Tax
- The Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department have issued a set of proposed regulations
on the 3.8 percent Net Investment Income Tax that takes effect next
year as a result of the health care reform law, along with a FAQ page with...
December 06, 2012Fiscal Talks Spur Charitable Giving
- Tax uncertainty in Washington is setting off a mad scramble among
wealthy taxpayers and charities to maximize donations before the end of
the year. Their worry: The tax deduction for charitable giving, a fixture of
the tax code for nearly a...
December 06, 2012Obamacare Investment Income: A Downloadable Cheat Sheet
- Judging by the reaction on the ol’ internet machine, the new regulations
governing the Obamacare investment income tax have caused quite a bit
of consternation within the tax community. Part of the problem is the
length: when you include...
December 01, 2012A Quest For Relevance
recent efforts by the accounting profession to improve private company
financial reporting revealed a clear and strong demand by small and
medium-size entities, the CPAs who serve them, and those who use their
financial statements for a...
November 28, 2012How Much Tax Would You Owe On A $550 Million Powerball Jackpot?
- With talk of the fiscal cliff and tax hikes for the rich dominating the news, you might be worrying about how much you’ll really get to keep after you win tonight’s record-setting Powerball jackpot. (Update: With frenzied ticket...
November 21, 2012Public Encouraged To Vote On Student CPA Videos
- TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Department of Business and Professional
Regulation (DBPR) and the Florida Institute of Certified Public
Accountants (FICPA) today encouraged the public to vote for their
favorite video in a public service contest...
June 29, 2012Supreme Court Upholds Health Care Law
- The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday declared the mandate in Sec. 5000A, requiring U.S. citizens and legal residents to maintain minimum essential health coverage, to be a permissible exercise of Congress's taxing powers under the Constitution...