Business Technology News
- Going on an extended international trip? Get a local SIM - July 23, 2014
- In this edition of Ask Maggie, CNET's Marguerite Reardon offers two travelers some insight on the best ways to save money on their wireless service while traveling abroad.
- Continental offers cheaper head-up displays for cars - July 23, 2014
- With the company's simpler "combiner" HUD, more cars could overlay information like driving directions atop drivers' view of the road. But distractions must be kept to a minimum.
- Australian team smashes 26-year-old electric car world record - July 23, 2014
- UNSW's Sunswift eVe has broken a long standing electric car speed record and now shifts gears to make the car street legal. And CNET got to take the car for a spin.
- Artists commemorate the worst computer viruses in history - July 23, 2014
- Online gallery Computer Virus Catalog sees artists from around the world interpreting and visualising the most famous viruses to hit our hard drives.
- Microsoft CEO affirms one Windows for all devices - July 23, 2014
- Satya Nadella says in no uncertain terms that the "three" Windows operating systems will merge into one OS.
- Tesla prepares California plant for Model X sport utility - July 22, 2014
- Carmaker is preparing up to deliver its first sport utility vehicle. The Model X is expected to arrive in 2015.
- Sailor Moon episode recreated shot for shot by more than 250 animators - July 22, 2014
- A collaborative Sailor Moon project saw over 250 animators recreate every single shot of "Fractious Friends", the 38th episode of the classic animated series.
- Airbnb guest stays more than 30 days, gets tenant's rights - July 22, 2014
- If you're renting your home on Airbnb, it's worth checking the law. One California woman is finding out the hard way. Her tenant won't leave and does have some rights.
- One Fast Cat: A hamster wheel for kitty - July 22, 2014
- One Fast Cat lets your feline friend get some much-needed exercise without having to brave the great outdoors.
- Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 sales outpacing earlier models - July 22, 2014
- Tech giant also confirms decision not to ship a smaller version of the device during its fourth-quarter earnings conference call.
- Fund a hoverbike, get a quadcopter - July 22, 2014
- Engineer Chris Malloy's Hoverbike has hit Kickstarter for funding -- in the scaled-down form of a drone.
- Apple dealt new class-action lawsuit by 20,000 employees - July 22, 2014
- Hourly wage workers claim the tech giant broke California labor laws by denying them lunch breaks and final paychecks.
- Tomorrow Daily 022: Nvidia's Shield tablet, NFC tattoos, and a real pizza thrower truck - July 22, 2014
- Today, we're talking about whether or not Nvidia's new Shield tablet has a chance in such a competitive space, why we need NFC tattoos, and how the full-scale pizza shooting truck from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came to life.
- Apple posts solid Q3 profit, but iPhone sales don't wow - July 22, 2014
- Apple sold 35.2 million iPhones in the period -- good, but slightly below expectations. Sales of the iPad, however, continue to slump.
- LinkedIn to buy Bizo in effort to beef up ad business - July 22, 2014
- The acquisition, valued around $175 million, brings new advertising technology that focuses on business users.
- Apple CEO defends iPad sales, but admits softer demand - July 22, 2014
- CEO Tim Cook said sales met its internal projections, even as he acknowledged it disappointed Wall Street.
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' pizza thrower hurls whole pies - July 22, 2014
- Pizza Hut launches a Comic-Con publicity stunt by creating a life-size version of a fictional pizza-flinging vehicle.
- Shameless iPhone 6 and iWatch knockoffs on sale soon - July 22, 2014
- China's GooPhone is back with an iPhone 6 clone and companion watch, available at least weeks before the real things are expected from Apple.
- Mozilla-powered Web games now available - July 22, 2014
- Popular action-strategy game Dungeon Defenders makes its way to the Web thanks to next-generation tech pioneered by Mozilla, and will hit Steam later today.
- Microsoft's sales beat estimates, but earnings hit by Nokia deal - July 22, 2014
- In Satya Nadella's first full quarter as CEO, Microsoft posts an 18 percent revenue gain. But earnings per share get dinged by costs related to the acquisition of Nokia's handset business.
- Nvidia unveils Shield Tablet for gamers on the go - July 22, 2014
- Mobile gaming continues to evolve with Nvidia's latest tablet, Netflix tests a privacy mode, and the Slingbox M1 offers an affordable way to stream TV to other screens.
- The 404 1,529: Where we can't help but purge (podcast) - July 22, 2014
- A promotional tweet with #twitterpurge shows why we can't have nice things, Sony brings back the Walkman in high resolution, Skyping with the dead, and a phone sex line for the super smart.
- Comcast admits service rep did what he was trained to do - July 22, 2014
- In an internal memo, Comcast's chief operating officer says a customer service call recorded by tech journalist Ryan Block was painful to listen to. He promises changes.
- Electronic Arts beats estimates after World Cup, but still cautious - July 22, 2014
- Company's first-quarter profit blew past Wall Street's expectations, due in part to FIFA titles. But it's delaying two highly-anticipated games to ensure success.
- Microsoft Q4 beats sales estimates with $23.38 billion, EPS hit by Nokia deal - July 22, 2014
- In Satya Nadella's first full quarter as CEO, Microsoft posts better-than-exected 18 percent revenue gain. EPS dinged by costs associated with acquisition of Nokia's handset business in April.
- EU may revisit Google antitrust settlement, report says - July 22, 2014
- After reaching a controversial deal with European regulators in February, the EU may revise terms of Google's settlement.
- Sell your 3D-printed My Little Pony fan art with Hasbro's blessing - July 22, 2014
- Bronies with 3D design skills have an official outlet for hocking My Little Pony creations thanks to a partnership between Hasbro and Shapeways.
- Take a closer look at the Kyocera Hydro Icon (pictures) - July 22, 2014
- The 4G-capable smartphone is waterproof, but not much else.
- 6 things to remember about iPhone 6 rumors - July 22, 2014
- Gossip about Apple's next iPhone is everywhere. Crave's Eric Mack has a half dozen things to keep in mind as you watch the rumor mill spin.
- Ultimate Convention Hoodie: Assassin's Creed meets geek cred - July 22, 2014
- Conquer the halls of any comic con with a hoodie from Her Universe and Nerdist designed to carry all your swag, from posters to comic books.
- Google funds million-dollar contest for better power electronics - July 22, 2014
- The Little Box Challenge is designed to shrink the size of power inverters, devices used in solar panels and electric cars. It's part of Google's effort to improve its green-tech image.
- Halo music composer settles with game-maker Bungie for $95,000 - July 22, 2014
- The composer says he was fired "without cause." He's been given unpaid work and vacation time, as well as damages.
- Life-size Vadermobile set to cruise Comic-Con - July 22, 2014
- Mattel is celebrating a "Star Wars" line of toys by showing off a fully functional, life-size Vadermobile at Comic-Con. Ride at your own risk.
- Basketball star Kobe Bryant: I met with Apple to talk product - July 22, 2014
- Bryant tells Bloomberg that he did, indeed, hold court with Apple's Jony Ive. But he doesn't mention an iWatch.
- Spotify gets its MTV, plus VH1 and CMT too - July 22, 2014
- The startup will be the streaming-music service for top music TV company Viacom, directly providing the tunes on MTV, CMT, and VH1 apps and websites.
- Kobe Bryant: I met with Apple to talk product - July 22, 2014
- The great volume-production expert Kobe Bryant tells Bloomberg that he did, indeed, meet with Apple's Jony Ive. But an iWatch isn't mentioned.
- Life-size Vadermobile set to cruise Comic Con - July 22, 2014
- Mattel is celebrating a "Star Wars" line of toys by showing off a fully functional, life-size Vadermobile at Comic-Con.
- Tablet Tuesday: Get a Kindle Fire HDX 4G LTE tablet for $229 - July 22, 2014
- For the same price as the Wi-Fi-only model, you can enjoy 4G service from AT&T or Verizon. Plus: two bonus deals!
- Spin the (spice) bottle - July 22, 2014
- The Joseph Joseph SpiceStore Carousel offers a convenient method for spice storage. The set has 10 glass jars that are stacked on a rotating base.
- Drop the Dropbox icon, and other notification area tweaks - July 22, 2014
Of all the locations on the desktop, how often do we pay attention to the lower right corner also known as the system tray/notification area? Unless we get a pop-up notification or want to check the time, probably not much.
But maybe you’d...
- Android L builds on Samsung's Knox fortifications - July 22, 2014
- Google spills the beans on how it plans to take some of the Knox enterprise technology and lock it into the next version of Android.
- Apple: We don't build back doors into our products - July 22, 2014
- Amid new alleged security flaws, the company denies building back doors in its devices or services that allow for government or other third-party snooping.
- Sellers in China start iPhone 6 preorders, report says - July 22, 2014
- Apple's next iPhone hasn't been announced, but that reportedly isn't stopping online sellers from taking preorders in China.
- Inflatable incubators, lifejacket bombs and more life-changing and life-saving innovations (pictures) - July 22, 2014
- A life-saving inflatable incubator and a method of converting deadly cluster bombs to save lives instead are among the innovations vying for this year's James Dyson Award.
- Google Now tops Siri at accuracy, says analyst - July 22, 2014
- Both voice assistants have improved since last year, says analyst Gene Munster. But in a new contest, Google Now scores slightly higher than its rival from Apple.
- Now that's clever: Check out these everyday items reimagined to change lives - July 22, 2014
- A never-ending fire extinguisher, an inflatable incubator and many more life-saving and life-changing inventions are vying for this year's James Dyson Award.
- Verizon tops Q2 expectations as tablet demand drives growth - July 22, 2014
- The company adds 1.15 million new tablets in the period, offsetting a slowdown in smartphone growth.
- Apple scores patent for 'wrist-worn electronic device' - July 22, 2014
- The new patent highlights a device referred to as "iTime" that comes with built-in sensors and can connect with mobile phones.
- Tomorrow Daily 021: New video capture tech, the Rickroll 'Rickmote,' a new X-wing, and more - July 22, 2014
- We're geeking out today over a new way to capture motion, a funny way to Rickroll people, and the Episode VII X-wing fighter reveal. Also, a projection wearable, and your user feedback. Will the Rickroll ever die?